Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Dark Side: A reflection on my first month as an administrator


Cue the Darth Vader theme song... I've joined the "Dark Side!" It has been a month since I started as an Elementary Supervisors of Curriculum and Instruction. But why, after only being on the other side a month earlier, am I viewed as the opposition? My goal is the same as every teacher’s. It isn't a secret. We are all here to improve student achievement, and I've added to my goal. Not only do I want to help create a group of successful college and career ready learners, but I also want to help teachers be effective. I want to help make life in the classroom easier.


As an educator, I was always someone who would beg, borrow, and research new methods of instruction. I would share ideas with any colleague willing to listen to me nerd out over the newest technology finds or how my students reacted to a lesson.  In my new position, I have the unique experience of being in 4 different schools! Just think about that for a second. I went from being in 1 school with 16 teachers in my department to over 120 teachers in my buildings. The possibilities are limitless!


I'm not naive and realize that it will take time for teachers to share their best practices with me. Being associated with the administrative team is a road block. As excited and enthusiastic as I am, I need to earn the trust and respect of my new colleagues. Building relationships with teachers is paramount. Not even an advance copy of the PARCC test would entice teachers to collaborate with me until they realize I'm here to help, not hurt.


So, how do I go about doing this? I think back to valuable lessons that I learned at #ECET2NOLA. I need to first celebrate teachers' successes. I realize that before I came into the school children were learning, and teachers were teaching. Valuable teaching strategies beyond my knowledge are being used on a daily basis. I need to take the time to identify and celebrate these teachers. I hope that teachers can see I am working to improve my craft on a daily basis just like they are. I hope that they will invite me in to see and participate in the teachable moments that are successful. I also want to see teachers take a risk that may not pay off, so that we can have meaningful, reflective discussions.


I plan to elevate these teachers by sharing the excellent pedagogy happening on a daily basis by their colleagues in different buildings. Celebrating and elevating are important tasks as an administrator. We need to not only celebrate the small and big victories in the classroom, but also share these accomplishments. The CCSS has ripped down the walls between classrooms, buildings, school districts, and even states. We need to stop reinventing the wheel and share best practices. I hope my position helps to bring these practices across the buildings. I'm here to make life easier. I'm not here to "get" anyone. I plan to be as transparent as possible. I'm a partner in the learning process and a facilitator of reflective practices.

I am optimistic that I will one day be seen as part of the team, and not the dark side. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie your views are what I consider to be characteristics of a 'new' breed of administrator. You're a young, digital native that isn't limited in learning by the books on the shelf behind your desk.

    The fact that you're a connected educator (notice I didn't say administrator...) opens so many more avenues for you to learn and grow in your new role unlike those that came before you who are gone who still do not 'get it.'

    Conquering the teacher/admin divide will always be a challenge because there will always be teachers who just do not trust administration. A sad reality.

    I wish you all the luck in the world, but you won't need it because you're that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natali, so well done and something I still grapple with as we continue to build a collaborative force here in our building. Continue to celebrate and communicate. I have this conversation all the time; there should be no us vs them; only us (all of us regardless of title) for all of them (our students). Stay optimistic and stay the course. Those that want to see that we are there for our teachers will see it. They will embrace feedback, attempt new strategies, and be merchants of hope for their students. Those that choose to live believing that leaders are on "the dark side" usually have a fixed mindset and will always struggle to embrace the notion that we are not the 'gotcha' police. Stay the course, as I know your commitment to your craft is steeped in doing what's best for students. Thanks for sharing this with me and never hesitate to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job, Natalie! I agree with all of the above. You need to build your "street cred" where you are and that takes time - be patient. We, as teachers, want to know that you have been in the trenches and you can relate to all of the demands that are being put on us. I think celebrating all the wonderful work going on in your buildings is a great first step! You are going to do wonderful things, just be patient and do what you know is right for the students and everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete